We strive to make our guest’s stay as enjoyable as possible. To that end we’ve enacted the following policies. You will also find assistance in finding the cottage.
Applewood Cottage Policies
- ADVANCE RESERVATIONS are required at Applewood Cottage.
- Visit the our booking page to make your reservation online or telephone toll-free 800-463-1902 or 540-463-1962 to reserve your room. Please call between 8 am and 9:30 pm.
- A DEPOSIT of one night’s rate will be taken with online reservations. Phone reservations may be made with credit card or check, however, if the reservation is more than 6 weeks away, a check is preferred within 10 days of making the reservation. Written confirmation will be sent either by e-mail or by regular mail upon receipt of a deposit. An extra fee is charged on balances paid on credit card .
- CANCELLATIONS: Your deposit will be returned to you less a $80/ service charge if cancellations are received no later than six weeks before arrival date. If notification is given less than 6 weeks in advance, we will refund your deposit only if we rebook the room. This includes rooms held on credit card.
- CHECK-IN: 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. unless otherwise arranged. Non-prearranged early check-ins will be subject to an extra charge, so please call.
- CHECK-OUT: by 11 a.m.
- MINIMUM STAYS: There is a two-night minimum stay required all week long, with three nights required in busier times. We are not able to accommodate one night stays.
- SMOKING: Due to the design of the cottage, smoking is allowed only outdoors, preferably in the gazebo by the pool or on one of your porches. SMOKING IS NOT ALLOWED ANYWHERE INDOORS.
- CHILDREN: Well-behaved children of any age are accepted. Two children can sleep in the second bedroom. A cot can be set up for an additional child in the master bedroom.
- PETS: We welcome guests’ quiet, well-behaved dogs. We request that you plan to include your dog in the day’s activities unless the dog is too elderly; we can recommend a number of dog-friendly outings as well as restaurants that will allow dogs. An extra fee of $20 is charged for the first night; $10 for subsequent nights. Dogs are to be leashed in the garden areas around the Cottage & main house. Dogs left in the cottage unattended should be crated unless they are older, and a cell phone number left with the innkeepers. On the premises, we have 4 llamas, one dog, Ginger, and plenty of deer.
As innkeepers for over 40 years, most recently operating Applewood Inn and Llama Trekking, we understand a guest’s need for privacy. Our home is separated from the Cottage by a small woods and is around 200 feet away. We are available if you need us but will otherwise leave you alone unless you seek us out. There are no other neighbors but us, the llamas and deer.
Applewood Cottage is designed for those who are somewhat challenged in mobility. It has a ramp, though not technically handicap compliant. It is conveniently one story. However the surrounding terrain is hilly. We would be glad to give anyone a ride in our Kubota RTV to the top of our hill to see the views, if needed.
There are sturdy rails around the porches and along any steps.
Applewood is accessed by a one mile long gravel state maintained road that winds along Buffalo Creek.
The Applewood Cottage website has been built and tested to be accessibility friendly. If you find any issues, please let us know.
Reservations Provider Policy
If you choose to book online, you will be requires to pay the deposit of one night’s rate by credit card. We use Think Reservations which is highly professional and privacy protected.
Applewood Cottage is located between Lexington and Natural Bridge, and is easily accessed from Interstate Routes 81 and 64.
From the north, take Route 11 (South Lee Highway)south 4 1/2 miles from traffic light at intersection of Rte. 11 and Rte. 11 Business (south of Lexington), to Route 678, Buffalo Bend Road. Turn right on Buffalo Bend, and follow 1.2 miles to Tarn Beck Lane where signs will direct you.
From the south, exit 180 at Natural Bridge, take Route 11 north 3 1/2 miles to Route 678, Buffalo Bend Road. Turn left on Buffalo Bend, and follow 1.2 miles to the private road entrance where signs will direct you.
Some older GPS units may direct you to turn one driveway too soon. DON’T TURN ON PAVED DRIVEWAY WITH MAILBOX MARKED PEEBLES. Look for the Applewood sign and the Tarn Beck Lane road sign. For accurate GPS use 242 Tarn Beck Lane, Glasgow, Va. 24555-2343. Without the last four digits you will be sent to Glasgow and we are 15 miles from Glasgow!
“This was a perfect place to land for a few days where we could get a mix of town and country, not too far from home. The kids loved the space, too! Mitch & I thoroughly enjoyed exploring the hilltop and the road along Buffalo Creek. Thank you so much for opening your home surrounded by all of the family artwork and beautiful touches. We will definitely recommend this to our traveling friends and hope to return soon.”